The R-Board is concerned with litter in our community, especially the roads to the landfill. Not only is litter ugly, but it is also harmful to wildlife and causes traffic accidents. Please help the R-Board stop litter in the City of Fredericksburg and Stafford County.
Some ways you can help are:
- Use trash cans. Ensure that all trash goes into a trash can. Do not put trash in an overflowing bin because it can blow away and end up in our roadways. The R-Board gives out car litter bags at the events that we attend to prevent litter. Please ask for one!
- Report littered roads. The R-Board employs a litter crew to clean up roadside litter on secondary roads. If you happen to see a spot on public, non-residential, non-commercial roads call 540-658-5273 to request a cleanup.
- Volunteer to organize a litter cleanup in your community. The R-Board provides all the supplies you need to spend a Saturday morning improving your neighborhood. Call 540-658-5273 to arrange for trash bags, safety vests, gloves, litter pickers, and signs for your cleanup. We’ll even pick up the trash bags after you finish and let you know the weight of the collected trash.
- Participate in Adopt-a-Highway. Call 540-899-4300 to participate in the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Adopt-a-Highway program.
- Secure your load. Be on the lookout for signs posted on the roads to the Regional Landfill. The signs are reminders to secure your load when you transport trash, brush, and other items in an open bed. It is illegal in Stafford County to carry an unsecured load. The penalty is a maximum $2,500 fine and/or 12 months in jail.